Friday, January 26, 2007

Simple act of kindness

My Angel Face was up and dressed on time this morning. He usually is. He tends to be very conscientious in most matters where he is involved.

I was running a little behind this morning and as I headed out to clean the newest 2" of snow off of my truck before work I asked him if he would make me a Peanut Butter and Honey sandwich. He said yes and walked towards the kitchen without a complaint or even a put-out expression.

It took me a good five minutes to finish clearing the snow. I finished up and headed in to grab my work stuff. Running down my mental list of things to grab, computer bag, i-pod, pocket pc, lunch box, I remembered Angel Face. I walked into the kitchen and there he was putting the final touches on the sandwich. The honey wasn't evenly distributed. The peanut butter was a little too thin. My pride in my boy couldn't have been any stronger.

Normally my wonderful wife has prepared something for me. This morning as I headed off to work I was grateful for a magnificent son, willing to serve without complaint. While I did thank him profusely, words can't convey how a simple act can touch our lives. How service, ungrudgingly given, can alter our perspective. I hope I can follow my Angel Face's example.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

This brings tears to my eyes. It's these kinds of acts of kindness that make our house a home and help me know that somewhere, some of the time, the lessons we are teaching are sinking in!

Thanks for sharing your perspective on this particular act.

Anonymous said...

That's part of the reason why we love that little Angel Face so much!

kodiak73 said...

Great story. Can't say this is how things would go down at my house and not because of Caleb's peanut allergy... One question for ya though, WHY should I care what style of lunchbox you carry??? A Link??? Really??? Do you have some endorsement deal with Igloo you want to share with us? I mean sure, knowing about what type of electronic toys, albeit a stretch, may be interesting but your igloo??? At least show us a Scooby Doo with matching Thermos or something unique but a blue igloo... really???

Jamie said...

Gotta love the moments when they teach us.