Thursday, January 25, 2007

Gnocchi Verdi

There are a few times in your life when you do something either for the first time or so different than usual that it sticks out in your mind for years to come.

When I lived in Pisa there was a waffle shop on Corso Italia that was about a quarter of the way between the train station and our apartment on via Lucchese . (We could see the top of the tower from our second story balcony.) We stopped at the waffle shop regularly and treated ourselves if the budget allowed. The waffles were good but I remember the shop, not one particular waffle.

One afternoon when we were out working we arranged to meet someone at a local restaurant just off of the Piazza dei Miracoli. I think it was a member, all I can really tell you is they treated us to lunch. It was an italian food restaurant (in Italy, go figure.) It was just off of the Piazza and it catered to locals and forgeiners alike.

Our host suggested that I try the Gnocchi Verdi. I had no idea what it was. When my plate arrived I was a little overwhelmed by the pungent smell of the gorgonzola in the sauce. Prior to this day blue cheese dressing had never purposefully graced my salad. I took the first bite with some trepidation.

I can remember the first mouthful. A flavor so full that I felt it in my jaw muscles. I wanted more but I had to eat slowly and make it last. I made a fool of myself raving over the dish the entire time I ate it. Since that day I have tried unsuccessfully may times to replicate the meal I had that day. I love to cook, so I'll know I've arrived when I can illicit the same reaction I had that day from whomever the poor schlub is that I've conned into eating my experiment.

Am I nuts? Am I the only person that can remember the best meal I've ever had?

I'll tell you one thing for certain. When I take my wife to Italy, we're planning lunch in Pisa.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I am anxiously awaiting the day when we go to eat it there!

I honestly can't remember "the best" meal I've ever had. Lots of good ones, but none so phenomeonal that they stick out in my mind!

Sweet memory!

Jamie said...

I remember the first time I had fried calamari. I haven't had it that good since. I also had fried artichoke hearts at that restaurant. Oh. My. Gosh. They were so delicious! They were served with some dipping sauce, but I can't remember what it was, since the artichoke hearts were so awesome on their own.
That recipe sounds so good! Perry isn't big on bleu cheese though. Maybe I'll make him a batch of chili and make this for me. I made gnocchi once, but I think it was a little too much of not knowing what to expect, so it didn't get rave reviews, although I thought it was pretty good.