Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Moses' Psalm

Did you know that Moses wrote a psalm and it's in the book of psalms? I'm re-reading the psalms and I had forgotten that its not just David that wrote the psalms. Solomon, Asaph (the chief musician), Maschil of Ethan the Ezahite, and I'm sure others also wrote psalms.

Moses' psalm is #90.
My wife just blogged about the futility of sacrament meeting with six young children on the bench with you. She called it "The hour long wrestling match." Last night I read Moses' plea to the Lord and thought, "Man, that's just how I feel about my children." In verse 17, the last verse of the psalm, Moses asks the Lord to, "establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it."

Angel face follows the music with his finger, which makes it so I can't sing the harmony because he's hiding it. Bug is into singing, but he also is trying to make Lucy follow along and she is too young to read. Bam-bam is constantly trying to decide whose lap he wants to be on. Tiny wants to color right now, even though EVERY WEEK I have to remind him that we don't color or draw until after the sacrament. Miss M will scratch your back for a minute and expect you to reciprocate for a half hour. And in this mix, I'm just hoping and praying that they get a snippet out of it.

Then, at dinner, I am stunned when Bug and Miss M start to discuss what the speakers were talking about. Usually they pick up on a story that was told. Angel Face or Lucy will sing or hum a hymn that isn't taught in primary. Tiny will tell us proudly what Sister Arellano taught him in primary class. Bam-bam is still too young but as I see his older siblings there is a glimmer of hope, and a prayer, "...establish thou the work of our hands ..."

2 comments:

kodiak73 said...

You have to read that psalm with the eyes of Moses to fully appreciate it and apply it to your situation. Here was a man taken from the lap of luxury, called to lead a group of people he had formerly considered inferior, only to see them waivor when he got them out in the desert. The only thing he could depend on was the actual fruits of his hard work and the day to day obedience of those that chose to follow him. From there it was his prayer that God would reward that daily "work of our hands" as eventually they learned, grew in faith, and were allowed to enter the promised land.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to be reminded that there are actually things that are making an impression on the kids. Our work is not in vain, and I know that, but every once in a while, it is good to take a step back and look at what we are doing and why. I will have to add this prayer to mine...thanks for the insight.