Sunday, January 07, 2007

Singing and Gossiping

I'm going to expand my sermonizing and share two verses with you. I read them both last night.

The first is Psalms 95:1 "O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation"

See now, my first thought was about a nice little girl that loves to sing in our ward. She loves to sing and does it with great enthusiasm. Like she's trying to audition for Annie belting it out in voluminous vibrato. Think, "I Know that My Reedeemer Lives" sung to the tune of, "The Sun'll Come Out Tommorrow." She tries hard and I admire her for that. I'm just embarrassed for her. It sounds awful. It does say a JOYFUL noise after all.

Then I read Psalms 101:5 "Whoso privily slandereth his neighbor, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

I am generally too proud of how well I sing. The first season we watched American Idol I had Bug in my truck with me and I was singing along to some song at the top of my lungs and he turned to me and said, "Dad, you're going to Hollywood!" I don't sing that well. But I am proud of my capabilities. Then I read that verse last night and realized I need an attitude adjustment. The joyful noise they're talking about isn't about the song being joyful to me, its about it being joyful to the blessed little noise maker. And I have no right to make fun of anything she does.

Plus, I REALLY don't want to find out what "cut off" means.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

I agree that being "cut off" does conjure up some interesting mental pictures.

It is vital not to be unrighteously judgemental...even when we don't understand someone's confidence or reason for sharing their talents with us.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

kodiak73 said...

Wow, I'm glad to see you finally recognized this character flaw in yourself. For those of us who had to suffer through you holding the world in contemp whilst blissfully ignorant of the emotional damage you were inflicting, it truely is a glorious day. I'm glad I don't have a prideful or competitive bone in my body. I can't even imagine the pain and torment you must be suffering due to this epiphany. ;o)

Thanks for the insight bro.

Jamie said...

As a joyful noise maker, please be kind, lol. The curse and blessing of marrying a man with singing talent is that everyone expects him to have married someone equal in talent.