Monday, February 05, 2007

The House of the Lord

Okay, I just found a scripture that I could have written. I don't mean that it is simple, but that it perfectly expresses the way I feel.

We live about four and a half hours from three different temples. We usually go to the Mesa, Arizona temple. We have been to the Albuquerque temple a couple of times. We went to the Snow Flake, Arizona temple's open house but we've never attended a session. We are actually going to the "wrong" temple when we go to Mesa. Albuquerque is our district, but Arizona is our home.

So, in Psalms 122 David says, "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord." We try to go to the temple about once a quarter. Somewhere along the line we'll be looking at the calendar and my wife will say, "We need to plan our trip to the temple." I AM glad when she says that. The ball will start rolling, and away we go for a weekend excursion to Mesa. I don't often have ground shaking experiences at the temple but David got that right too. At the end of his short psalm he says, "Because of the house of the Lord our God I will seek thy good." He's talking specifically about seeking the good of Jerusalem. For me, metaphorically, he is talking about the kingdom of God. I find myself energized after attending the temple. More willing to read my scriptures, say my prayers, and fulfill my callings.

There's more in that chapter that applies, I won't break it down verse by verse. Just take a minute and read it. It will make you want to go. I'm already whipping out my calendar.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

I'm ready when you are.
It was neat to have you share this scripture with me.

It is amazing how much joy being a temple going people brings. (Even if it is going just once every few months!)