Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Light

Looking down,
I see the light of my neighbor’s barn
One light I know in Silver City
This time, the silver of the lights
Shining in the obscurity
Swallowed whole
In the land’s dark and gaping maw
Headlights declare
“I am a human here
speeding forward towards purpose
conquering darkness
with my glow.”
I recognize the cities below
That creep into view
Car’s lights pointed toward work
Illuminate the path
From my vantage
Their sparks along the way
Crossing road that I have crossed
I recognize their desire
Bright stars above
Wonderous and far
The stars below
Hold my imagination fast
These are the stars I know
The meaning I lend them
Drives mystery away
Great city Phoenix rises
Orange wings spread wide
Fire from the people
Burns away the night
The light attests
We fight against the night.

I flew from Silver City to Phoenix yesterday on business. Watching the towns and cars in the dark early morning brought out the poet in me.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Sweet new blog look my hub-sand dear.

Interesting how foreign it feels to be the "lightmakers" sometimes, eh?

As if we actually belonged to another place.