Monday, March 26, 2007

Rabbits

For those of you who know my family well I apologize for recycled story telling. I was reminded about a family story today while reading a foody blog that I enjoy and thought that I would share.

When we first got our rabbits for free (the cage cost $45) I intended that we would be cooking them up as little rabbit hot wings to the children and oh wasn't this such a great idea?

I got this idea from eating some at a church social once and having eaten several helpings was finally informed that I was not eating chicken it was rabbit. So yes, rabbit really does taste like chicken...sort of.

Therefore, my first couple of experiments into rabbit preparation were using chicken cooking recipes. Guess what? Not a good idea. Most of the poor bunny got left on the plate.

I finally thought I had struck recipe gold when I cooked up a good plate of hasenpfeffer. It tasted good and, finally, the meat wasn't too rubbery.

I served some of the good stuff up for lunch and my wonderful Angel Face sat down and ate it up.

"What is this?" He asked after finishing half of his first helping.

"It's hasenpfeffer." Was my coy reply. Of course I wasn't going to tell my extremely sensitive five year old what he was really eating.

"Really, dad. What kind of meat is it."

A direct question and just like George Washington, there was no escaping this cherry tree. He'd asked it straight out.

"Its the rabbit." I replied.

I expected that he would stop eating which really wasn't a problem because he had already eaten enough. Then, much to my suprise....he threw up. Right there, at the table, on his plate.

I think it is my sister-in-law who doesn't really like Oreos any more for the same reason. No, Oreos aren't made out of bunnies.... ... I think. But, you know, she tossed her cookies and now she doesn't like them.

I can honestly say that I've seen many people pretend that they are going to throw up when you tell them that you've got broccholi or some other undesirable veggie planned for dinner. I never thought I would see that kind of a reaction in real life. He tossed his bunnies.

Next time I'll call it Coniglio and try to dodge the questioning a little better.

5 comments:

Laura Rebecca said...

My stepkids did practically the same thing with squash.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that it's easy being a parent, step or otherwise. ;)

greenwashed said...

papa j: First off, bicycles are several magnitudes more efficient than cars, there isn't any debate. I'm sure it has something to do with that 2 tons of steal we move around burning all that fuel. But more to the point, capitalism only loves efficiency in it's business to increase profit, not for the consumer. Capitalism needs the consumer to waste or it can't make any money.

Case in point: My house is very efficient. The more efficient it gets, the less money PG&E makes, so they need to increase the rates all the time. Probably all those people actually buying the fluorescent lights.

Next Case: I have little garbage because, as my waste collector has been promoting, I have reduced my waste, reuse what I can, and recycle. But instead of rewarding me, my garbage company has decided I need to increase my trash collection from once a month to four times a month, thus charging me more even though I produce less.

Capitalism is in big trouble because it is basically a giant pyramid scheme dependent on large inputs of cheap energy. Now with just the US and China needing half of ALL the energy we can see the problem. Next up is India whose population will soon pass that of China. And, of course, the inverse of being the big consumers, is being the big polluters. While the U.S. only has 5% of the world's population, it uses about 25% of just about every resources on the planet which means it produces 25% of the world's pollution.

March 23, 2007 2:47 PM

Real said...

Wow.

My husband bred rabbits for a scout project when he was young. One day his mom told him they needed the rabbits for food adn ordered young hubby out to slaughter it. One of the cute little bunnies he had bred for and raised and loved. He tried hitting it on the head with a board but had to do it several times before the thing finally died. He says it made an awful sound as it was dying. He was too disgusted to eat the boiled rabbit stew his mother made.

Yeah. Ew.

Papa J said...

real - I hate to admit it, but that was pretty much our first slaughtering experience too. Killing rabbits is the worst part of raising them for food.

Hidden One said...

I couldn't kill a rabbit if it was eating MY dinner. Now, I don't think I would if I could, anyway.