Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Presidential Campaigns

So I just learned yesterday why so many presidential hopefuls toss their hats into the ring so early. You see, to become president requires boat loads of money. The first one asking for the money has a couple of advantages. 1. There is less competition for the money, because there are less options. 2. If you can earn enough early enough you get front runner buzz. Which in turn will generate more money for you. It seems like a smart stategy. This campaign will likely be the most expensive presidential election ever costing over $1 billion, just for the CHANCE to hold the reigns.

I hate to say it but I feel more and more like a low born Plebian and unless you have all of the right credentials, parents, and money you will not be considered a patrician.

Nevertheless, while I don't have money to give to candidates (except for telling congress to give $3 dollars to the official candidates when I file my taxes) I still have seen enough of the candidates to settle on my choice.

If you don't know much about Mitt Romney I recommend you follow my link and spend five minutes getting aquainted. Right credentials, right parents, a SUCCESSFUL business man (which in my mind says a LOT), and has a firm moral compass. Definitely the best of this years patricians.

I'd love to hear anybody else's better suggestion out of the declared candidates.

4 comments:

kodiak73 said...

Dick Morris made a great observation about Mitt Romney when he was asked about Romney's religion. He simply pointed out that when compared to McCain, Guiliani, and Gingrich, Romney was the only one that HASN'T had multiple wives...

As for me, Romney has my vote not because of our shared religion, but because of our shared beliefs and ideals for this country. To your first point about money, I heard a report yesterday that despite running 3rd in most polls, Romney may have raised the most money in the first quarter. That's why he can run ads this early and let people know who he is which can only be good...

Lyle said...

Considering the current contenders, Romney would have my vote.

Blazingcatfur said...

Mitt is a worthy contender- he certainly ain't poor. But I think Giuliani may be the one to beat. Good point on the wives thing Perry, but I think that Mitt's wife was the one who originated the joke- that shows a good sense of humour.

Incognito said...

Funny about the wives..

I think it's not just the money but all the dreck that people dredge up about the past. that might make some people jump the boat before it lands.

As for Romney, potentially good, but I think it's important to vote for the man that has the greatest chance of winning and not sure, yet, who that might be.