Thursday, September 20, 2007

Scoutmaster

They've made me a scoutmaster in my church. I've been associated with the scouting program since I was eight years old and I have always enjoyed it. You'll never here me complain about being asked to help out in scouting.

I have fond memories of my scoutmasters. For the first few years my dad was it. He was always a different man when we were out camping. Not better, not worse, just different. I feel like I know him better because of the time that I spent watching him interact with my friends. My second scoutmaster was the scoutmaster in his troop for decades. He still had the scouting spirit burning strong when I moved back to my hometown a decade after leaving. He was awarded the Silver Beaver for his decades of selfless service.


I see the young men I am teaching now and I marvel at the potential they all have. We're going camping tomorrow, (I'm writing this late Thursday night,) and once again I find myself feeling that thrill of anticipation before the big event. I'm scoutmaster to one of my own boys. I hope he'll have the same fond memories of scouting with his father that I do. I hope that decades from now, I'll still love scouting and the joy of teaching scouting to young men. I hope that some day my boy will look back at his youth and want to be a scoutmaster too. And make a difference in at least on person's life.

4 comments:

Incognito said...

Wowie.. you are one busy guy.. God bless you!
Hope you had fun out camping with the bugs and the dirt, and, and...
can you tell, I was never a big fan of camping...

kodiak73 said...

I loved the time I served as the Scoutmaster of that very same troop. I'm guessing you are doing a better job than I did. I'ld like to think that is because you have a son in the troop and my oldest was what, 2?, when I was the Scoutmaster. But in all reality I have to admit, I think your more outgoing personality and far more humble ego are better suited to that role.

Anonymous said...

Check out our website at www.proudpapagifts.com

kodiak73 said...

Wow bro! I didn't know you had partnered with a gift site. You should link to their page ask for a cut of the money... Of course, it looks like they do a fair bit of sales through cigar shops so this may not work for you on an ethical level...