Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mission Anniversary

Today marks sixteen years from the day that I entered the missionary training center in Provo, Utah to begin my full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Italy.

I mark this day every year and usually my wife and I will talk about it. I am glad that I went.

My mission was not filled with the same kinds of spiritual experiences that my father weaned me on growning up. I was never on top of the baptising list. I worked. I worked hard. I encountered some discouragement but not enough to ever make me want to stop working.

Today I re-read the story of Enos. He is told that his sins are forgiven and he asks, "Lord, how is it done?" He knows that God can not lie and therefore he knows it has been done so he asks: "How?" You can sense his wonder and awe. You can sence his gratitude and love for the savior.

I didn't have an apostalic mission. I didn't heal anyone's infirmities or witness great miracles. Except. I witnessed as a handful of souls were brought to ask with that same emotion and gratitude, "How is it done?"

Given the chance to relive my life there are a few things I would change. The three things I wouldn't change are: 1. Be baptised 2. Go on a mission 3. Marry my wife.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot.
That makes me really glad that you blogged about it!!

I wouldn't change the growth we both experienced during those 2 years that you were on your mission.

Your sacrifice has blessed not only you and I, but also our family!

Blazingcatfur said...

Hey Papa J, Italy huh, sounds like a posh gig!